- Hits: 543
Sea-storm in Cinque Terre; the waves start from far away
The five countries can be visited at all times of the year: summer and winter. You can walk the trails, visit the countries, swim and sunbathe in the summer, sleep in excellent accommodations, enjoy a good food.
But for those who visit the Cinque Terre in the fall or winter, there is the possibility of an unexpected spectacular, unpredictable and impressive: the sea-storms.
- Hits: 456
Since 1997, the Cinque Terre in HERITAGE World Heritage Site.
The motivation synthetic with which UNESCO has awarded this important recognition to the Cinque Terre is the following http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/826
The Ligurian coast between Cinque Terre is a cultural landscape of great scenic and cultural value. The layout and disposition of the small towns and the shaping of the surrounding landscape, overcoming the disadvantages of a steep, uneven terrain, encapsulate the continuous history of human settlement in this region over the past millennium.
Justification for Inscription
The Committee decided to inscribe this site on the basis of criteria (ii), (iv) and (v), considering that the eastern Ligurian Riviera between Cinque Terre and Portovenere is a cultural site of outstanding value, representing the harmonious interaction between people and nature to produce a landscape of exceptional scenic quality that illustrates a traditional way of life that has existed for a thousand years and continues to play an important socio-economic role in the life of the community.
- Hits: 398
The church of Manarola
Leaving Casa Capellini, in Ettore Cozzani street, you are on the church square; a few meters from the parish church dedicated to San Lorenzo martyr. In the tombstone on the façade, written in Latin:
"IN THE NAME OF CHRIST, AMEN, 1338 THE DAY .. MONTH OF AUGUST THIS CHURCH WAS FOUNDED WITH THE NAME OF THE BIRTH OF THE VIRGIN MARY BY THE WORK OF THE COMMINITHY AND THE MEN FROM MANAROLA AND VOLASTRA"
The original dedication of the Church of the Nativity Virgin Mary was changed to that of San Lorenzo in the second half of the seventeenth century.
The facade is in local sandstone in brick perfectly squared stones. It has a beautiful 1375 rose window with a floral frame in White Carrara marble. The voids between the small radial columns were inserted the strar sign, nown partial declined, sculp of Marmorari Campilinesi that made many works in the area.